12 Top Benefits of Continuing Education After A Long Break For Career Growth
What is continuing education?
According to Western Governors University and Manipal University, continuing education generally refers to any graduation or post-graduation programs that adults pursue after a 10+2 OR 10+ 3 years Engg diploma. The programs may be delivered through regular colleges or part-time to distance or online colleges.
Some professions require continuing education in a variety of ways. Some of these requirements come in the form of yearly classes or tests to keep you up on changes in your industry.
Other professions require continuing education in the form of advanced degrees, which prepare you for new responsibilities and opportunities. Still, other professions require attendance at conferences or lectures to help employees learn from other experts in their field.
Successful businessmen and women, from Warren Buffett to Oprah, are huge advocates of continuing education. Barack Obama has spoken often about reading for his own learning for at least an hour a day during his time in the White House.
But can continuing education actually benefit you? According to the Manipal University and WG University, below given are the benefits employees may gain if they keep continuing education either in the form of small training programs or in the form of a diploma, degree programs.
The top 12 benefits of continuing education
- Increases Salary - Continuing education often leads to a raise or a higher starting salary at a new position. Whether you will be offered a raise or promotion in your current job or will qualify for a new job that has a better salary, continuing education will have a major benefit for your income. On average, a college degree holder will earn twice as much as someone who doesn’t have a degree. This form of continuing education often requires you to invest in yourself, but the payout at the end is usually well worth it.
- Increases your chances for promotion - Many times, employers find your pursuit of continuing education a great reason to give you a promotion. They recognize you’ve invested time and sometimes money into improving yourself and want to reward that. Your new education also makes you more qualified for advanced work and an ideal candidate for promotions. Employers also sometimes have positions within a company that have an advanced degree as a basic requirement. Getting that advanced degree could be the factor in being picked for promotion. Similarly, when placed side-by-side with another candidate for a promotion, you will stand out to and impress a hiring manager if you have more education. Education qualifies you to handle more tasks and responsibilities and may have even given you specific knowledge in how to do a job better. If you’re hoping to get a promotion, an advanced degree or another continuing education pathway could be the key to helping you get there. From giving you skills and abilities to showing your employer how dedicated you are to improve yourself, there are many reasons why your continuing education plan can help you get a promotion.
- Increased job offers - In an Indian job market if experienced applicants are holding a reputed college degree, then, they are likely to receive more and more interview calls for vacant job positions. A major chunk of the Indian workforce starts their career at an early age to support their family. They are bound to face the full stop to their career growth. For career growth, one needs to study the requirements of the job market. Usually, employers are not willing to offer responsible positions until an experienced applicant is holding a reputed college degree in a relevant subject. Employers want employees with college degrees, as they believe that degree holders are more skilled, mature, and have in-depth subject knowledge. Recruiters or employers have a belief that only reputed colleges can inculcate the core values among students. Hence, continuing education even while working, may prove as an investment in the near future. Interested candidates can contact us to find the reputed colleges which are providing online degree courses accepted globally.
- Increases your ability to make a career transition - If you’re ready to move into a new career field, often the first step will be gaining an education that qualifies you for that new path. From nurses to teachers to accountants, many professions have strict requirements for licensure or degrees in order to qualify. Obtaining this education will make you prepared to move into a new career. Many professions require continuing education because they have specific training that is crucial to your success. Without this education, there’s no way for you to qualify for or succeed in a position. Learning new skills through continuing education is key to being prepared for a career transition.
- Continuing Education Leads to Better Networking - There are lots of continuing education opportunities out there that give you the chance to meet new people. Even if it’s an online course, there are often forums or groups you can join to network and work together on projects. There are also study groups, membership societies, special conferences, and other opportunities to learn and network at the same time. You might find that a certification you got in search engine marketing helped you connect with a new partner who can help your business grow. Keeping connections is essential for careers and business today.
- Professional Development for Better Job Opportunities - Degreed professionals are not a rare thing in the world today. When you apply for a job, you’re competing with numerous other people with the same qualifications. How are you going to stand out from the crowd? Having a few extra relevant certifications or training experiences can be just the thing you need to beat the competition. Even if it’s just a 4-week program that you completed online, it goes on your resume to show potential employers that you have something extra that others don’t. This can make all the difference in helping you land new job opportunities since you stand out from the crowd.
- Stay Sharp and Healthy Inside and Outside the Office - What many people don’t realize is there’s a strong link between education and health. Continuing to learn new tricks even when you’re older helps keep your brain active and healthy. Learning new things can also help improve memory. Research has shown there’s a strong link between reading and overall health. Learning is a form of mental exercise that can keep you healthy. Numerous research studies show that having more education correlates with having a longer lifespan. People who prioritize educating themselves are more likely to develop healthy behaviors and less likely to suffer from illness. So believe it or not, continuing to learn throughout your life has benefits for both mental and physical health.
- Develop New Professional Interests - Society likes to make people think they need to choose a single career “path” to succeed in life. So everyone invests in getting a very narrow education without broadening their horizons to other interesting subjects. But if you give yourself the opportunity to learn about topics outside your chosen field, you will likely develop some new interests. You might even discover you have an innate talent for a field you never explored before. When you take the time to dabble in different fields and get a holistic education, there’s just more opportunity to follow paths that truly interest you. You might be able to incorporate these new skills into your current job. Or you could end up changing careers completely to pursue a new dream.
- Professional Development Helps You Innovate More - Learning about subjects outside of your normal discipline introduces you to new concepts and new ways of thinking. Different disciplines often discuss some of the same subjects using very different approaches from each other. Getting a broader understanding of a topic can help you brainstorm more creative ways to handle related tasks and challenges. Very rarely does innovation come from someone who’s always thinking inside the box. Having a broader education can help you become more creative and innovative. In turn, this can help you stand out from your peers, climb the business ladder, or maybe even branch out on your own to create something novel. The best entrepreneurs today have a well-rounded education, and they’re always looking for new opportunities to learn.
- Improves Your Image And Marketability - Continuing education is a valuable element to your résumé. For many jobs, it is a direct qualification requirement to have a certain amount of education, but even if you meet the minimum qualifications, additional education will make you stand out. Consider if you’re one of several candidates up for a job. If you have additional education, you will obviously be looked at more closely. You will stand out not only because of your additional qualifications, but employers will recognize that you have the determination to take on a challenge—and succeed. Employers will also recognize that you have new insights on the most current trends and skills in your industry, as well as having additional technology experience because of your time spent learning something new. Overall, your image will increase, as will your job marketability, if you pursue continuing education.
- Improves Your Lifestyle - If you’re not satisfied with your current lifestyle, continuing education could be the answer to your problems. Want to make more money? Want to switch your job? Want to feel more fulfilled? Need new skills? Continuing education can help you accomplish all these goals. As you spend time devoted to learning, the outcomes are positive for your career and your overall lifestyle. Improving your career often trickles down to the rest of your life because you’re more satisfied with your job, make more money, etc. Don’t wait to change your life, start your continuing education path now and get ready for the lifestyle you have wanted.
- Develops Interpersonal Skills - If you’re not satisfied with your current lifestyle, continuing education could be the answer to your problems. Want to make more money? Want to switch your job? Want to feel more fulfilled? Need new skills? Continuing education can help you accomplish all these goals. As you spend time devoted to learning, the outcomes are positive for your career and your overall lifestyle. Improving your career often trickles down to the rest of your life because you’re more satisfied with your job, make more money, etc. Don’t wait to change your life, start your continuing education path now and get ready for the lifestyle you have wanted.
Tips to continue study after a long break 😊
- Choosing the right degree - Initially, you must identify the career or field that interests you the most. Then conduct thorough research to find what kind of jobs are available in that field, and which degrees will be required to grab those jobs. After narrowing down some possible options, you can move to the next step of finding the right college. You must be familiar with the various qualification levels to get your dream job so that you can enroll in a certificate, degree, or diploma program accordingly.
- Finding the right college/university - You should choose the right college/ university that has stood the test of time and also boasts a reputation for ensuring good job outcomes for its learners. Make sure that the college you choose has the program you require for your career change.
- Checking your affordability - Online certification courses are much cheaper in comparison to their brick-and-mortar counterparts. You can find many online MBA colleges that offer undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses at very affordable costs, and also provide various financial aids. You must enquire about the fee structure and scholarship options of different colleges and do a comparison to select the most appropriate one.
- Understanding the time commitment - Determine the time you can spare for your education while juggling between work, family, and social liabilities, before enrolling in a course. An online master’s degree in India gives you the flexibility to complete your course at your own pace. You may cover it in less time or spread it over a longer period according to your convenience.
👉 Whether you’re continuing your education after a long break or just getting started, online courses give you the flexibility to get the most out of your time. Many NAAC-accredited and UGC-recognized Universities offer you undergraduate and postgraduate online or distance degrees. Few known universities offer free access to 4500+ specialized courses that focus on the most in-demand skills and are taught by industry experts. They may enable you to learn at your own pace but also offer various financial aids so the cost does not become a barrier for you. To know more about the online BBA, MBA, BCA, MCA, BCOM, MCOM, or BA / MA courses offered at such universities you may contact our trained counsellors. (Research credits - Manipal University and Western Governors University)
Today we have learned about 12 benefits. You may gain all if you keep continuing your education. According to you, which benefit is most important? Comment below in the comment box 👇